AYSO Will Kick Off Its 50th Year with a Float in the 125th Rose Parade
AYSO will have a float in the 2014 Rose Parade with the City of Torrance, the birthplace of AYSO. It is the 100th year of Torrance having a float in the parade, but this isn't the first time AYSO has had a float in the world's most watched parade - we also had one in the 1979 Rose Parade® (pictured above).
This float is especially exceptional however, given that it’s kicking off our 50th anniversary in style. On Jan. 1, 2014, the float will roll down the streets of Pasadena, Calif., with 700,000 watching along the parade route and 43 million television viewers watching nationwide (last year’s Academy Awards only had 41 million views!)
AYSO is partnering with the City of Torrance and the theme of the float will be Everyone Plays™.
Here are a few exciting AYSO Rose Parade milestones coming in the next few months:
- We will be unveiling the float design this fall. It’s being created by Fiesta Floats, one of the top Rose Parade float designers. Fiesta has won more Rose Parade float awards than any other company. It will appear FIRST in The Commish, then roll out to all of our volunteers and families to see.
- A national contest will be held on Facebook this fall for an AYSO player and their parent to be riders on the float. The prize will include transportation and accommodations!
- There will be a live web cam in the last weeks of the building of the float so AYSO fans can watch it in real-time.
- AYSO alumni and former U.S. National Team and LA Galaxy star Cobi Jones will ride on the float representing over 6,000,000 AYSO alumni.
- We’ll be promoting a “Breakfast at the Rose Parade” initiative to encourage AYSO families across the U.S. to gather their friends on New Year’s morning and watch the parade together. We’ll have resources and tips for food, decorations, invitations and more.
- The Futboleros, known as the Harlem Globetrotters of Soccer, will be the outwalkers for the AYSO-Torrance float. They will walk alongside the float for the entire 5-mile parade route doing soccer tricks for the crowd. They’ll be wearing AYSO uniforms and wowing the fans (and we hope getting some national TV time!) with soccer tricks. They have been good friends of AYSO and will be donating their time. Here’s their short promotional video that tells you about them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViB-xt2iLE4.
- We are planning a free AYSO Family Day in November when local AYSO families can stop by and see the float under construction. Over a dozen other floats will also be in the construction process at Fiesta Float’s headquarters, so it should be fascinating.
- There will be opportunities for volunteer decorators. The Torrance Rose Float Association will be managing the sign-up, scheduling and transportation of over 600 volunteers to help decorate in several shifts each day. The minimum age limit for decorators is 13-years-old (sorry, that’s the rules of Fiesta Floats.) Decorating sign-ups will be available starting in October.
- We are coordinating a digital ad campaign around Jan 1-3, 2014 through Google, so if a television viewer searches for information about they will also see an ad for AYSO that directs them to the Region Locator page on AYSO.org. There they can put in their ZIP code and find the Regions around them. So be sure to have your Region website address in eAYSO (which is where the tool pulls info from) and have your website all spruced up, current and looking good! Consider having a sign-up opportunity right there. Perhaps for a winter indoor season, an introductory clinic, a local SoccerFEST or some other AYSO activity. Parents will want to take an action right then, so let them!